What is Square payment processing
Square Payment Processing has been around since 2009 and is one of the most popular forms of credit card processing. They offer a variety of services for businesses, including mobile payments, point-of-sale systems, and eCommerce solutions. Square was founded by Jack Dorsey, cofounder of Twitter. As you may know, Square uses technology to make commerce easy for everyone involved.
Square offers products like POS (point-of-sale) systems that are perfect for small business owners who want to take their business into the digital world or even just streamline their current operations with an electronic register system or set up online ordering through your website. They also have other hardware devices like card readers which can be used by food trucks or any other businesses that are on the go.
How does Square Payment Processing work
Square allows businesses to process credit card payments by using their free application or device they send out. The application is compatible with smartphones, tablets, and computers so you can choose the best way to accept cards based on your business type.
You may be all ready accepting Visa, MasterCard, American Express, or Discover but you can choose to accept all of them if you would like. Square also offers competitive rates in which you will pay less than what your credit card issuer charges when processing transactions.
Many business owners are worried about security when it comes to processing cards through their website or with a mobile device, but rest assured that Square has the highest level of security. They encrypt all of your information so it cannot be hacked and also use secure servers to store your data.
There are a few things you need in order to set up your account with Square: a business phone, email address, bank account where you will receive the funds from the card transactions, and an internet connection. In addition to that, you’ll need to provide your business name, personal information, and social security number. When setting up an account with Square, you will be required to submit your bank information but they will not make any withdrawals or transfers until you are ready to receive the money from your sales.
Once you’re all set up with Square Payment Processing, you can accept all major credit cards. If you ever have any questions or need help setting up your account, their customer service is available 24/7 and they will get back to you right away.
What are the benefits of Square Payment Processing
There are many benefits to using Square Payment Processing. The most important being:
- It is free! There are no monthly fees or yearly charges. All you have to do is pay the transaction fees with each purchase. With their flat rate of 2.75% per swipe, they are currently one of the lowest priced credit card processors out there today which includes all major credit cards.
- Square has no limit to the amount of card transactions you can process in a month which means more money for your business. They also offer many different hardware devices like their mobile card reader or POS system which can be very helpful if you are looking for ways to take your business into the digital world.
- When it comes to security, Square has you covered. They encrypt all of your information and use secure servers to store it. In addition, you will need a personal phone number and email address in order to get started.
- With their simple application or device, Square allows for quick and easy transactions which is perfect if you run a business like catering or sell food on the go. There are no contracts or cancellation fees.
You can use the Square app or website to accept credit cards and then deposit the money into your bank account.
Square allows businesses to process credit card payments by using their free application or device they send out. The application is compatible with smartphones, tablets, and computers so you can choose the best way to accept cards based on your business type. You may be all ready accepting Visa, MasterCard, American Express, or Discover but you can choose to accept all of them if you would like.
The fees are low, but they don’t offer any free features like other payment processors do.
Square currently has flat rate of 2.65% per swipe, which is one of the lowest pricing credit card processor today. In addition to that, there are no monthly fees or yearly charges. All you have to do is pay the transaction fees with each purchase. Square allows businesses to process credit card payments by using their free application or device they send out.
(If you’re just getting started with Square, there’s no monthly fee if you have less than $250k in annual sales volume).
To round it up:
- Square is a mobile payment processing company that lets you accept payments with your smartphone
- You can use the Square app to process credit card and debit card payments, as well as PayPal and Apple Pay
- You can also purchase an optional device for $10-20 that attaches to your phone
- There are no monthly fees or contracts – it’s free to sign up and start processing transactions
- To get started, download the Square app from iTunes or Google Play, then connect a bank account so customers can pay with their cards on file
- After you set up your account, all you need is a compatible iOS or Android device running OS 7+ along with internet connection (WiFi) and location services turned on in order to take payments right away!
- If using an iPhone without a headphone jack (or any other model of phone), we recommend purchasing our new dock accessory for easy swipe scanning
- For those who don’t want to use their own phones, they offer wireless terminals like this one: https://squareup.com/ca/en/hardware/terminal
- The best thing about Square is that you don’t need a lot of expensive hardware or additional fees to get started taking credit card payments
- You can set up a Square account in literally under 10 minutes and it’s free. All you need is a bank account, smartphone with the app downloaded, and your SSN#
- Almost all businesses can use it including consultants, artists, and food trucks
- The company offers a “Cash” card which you can use at the ATM to withdraw funds. It’s like Square marketing their own debit card which is free (no fees) with direct deposit or $3/month without it. You can even make ATM fee reimbursements for up to $4.50/month
- The card has made it easier for Square to gain market share over competitors like PayPal and even banks (Square is used by 7 out of top 10 US retailers)
- You can also buy a discounted gift card from companies like Airbnb, Home Depot, NewEgg, Best Buy, Staples, Groupon etc. Or if you want to save 5% on every purchase, just refer a friend using your unique Square Cash link
- If you have less than $250k/year in annual sales volume, there are no monthly fees at all!
- One downside is that if your business takes credit card payments but isn’t registered with the state, you’ll need to do that
- Also, if your business is incorporated, they recommend opening a business account instead of a personal one. You also cannot use the application as an organization which means individuals with access to your Square account will be able to process payments from it (although they will adhere by PCI compliance guidelines and secure any sensitive information)
- You can also use Square with your existing POS system
- There are two types of pricing plans depending on how much you process each month – Basic ($275 p/m @ 2.75% per swipe, 3.5% + 15¢ for manually entered transactions below $1000) or Pro ($750 p/m @ 1.87% per swipe, 2.5% + 15¢ for manually entered transactions below $10k)
- The difference between Pro and Basic is more robust reporting capabilities
- There is a 12-month, interest free trial available with the Square contactless or chip reader (accepts Apple Pay & Google Wallet)
- There is also an EMV card reader which accepts chip cards (most common in Europe and Canada)
- It’s free to sign up and you can start using it right away. You only pay after you process transactions
- Go to: www.squareup.com – Click on Start Now! button at the top and enter in your email (or phone number) and zip code to get started. You can also visit a local Square Reader partner.
So, what are you waiting for
The main advantage of using Square Payment Processing is the fact that it is free to set up and you only have to pay when someone purchases from your store. The transaction rate is very low compared to other major credit card processors so it’s perfect for businesses that are just starting out because there are no initial costs in order to begin accepting credit cards.